Synonyms: Malic acid, Calcium salt
CAS No.: 16426-50-9
Chemical Name: 1,2- Ethane dicarboxylic acid, 2-hydroxy-calicum salt (1:1)
Chemical Structure as following:
Molecular formula: C4H4CaO5
Molecular Weight: 172.05
Assay: Content of Calcium is not less than 21 % on dried basis
Application: A nutrient dense supplementary form of Calcium with the added advantage of an energy rich substance.
Calcium Malate is white powder and always used as a nutrition supplement for human health.
Calcium Malate MSDS, please click here!
Calcium Dietary Reference Intakes table as following:
Calcium malate is source of bio-available calcium in which calcium is bound to the naturally occurring malic acid. Also known as fruit acid, malic acid is a naturally occurring organic acid in the plants and animals, including humans. The anion, malate, is a key intermediate in the major bio-chemical energy producing cycle called Krebs cycle, located in the cells' mitochondria. The absorption potential of calcium is enhanced in calcium malate as compared to inorganic forms of calcium. Calcium malate also finds application in "functional beverages."
Role of Calcium in human nutrition
Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body, making up about 2 percent of total weight. About 99 percent of this calcium is stored in the bones and teeth, and the remaining 1 percent circulates in the blood and is found in muscles, nerves, and other soft tissues.
Only bout 20 to 30 percent of dietary calcium is actually absorbed from the intestinal tract into the bloodstream.
The numerous functions of calcium include the following:
Building bones and teeth: Calcium gives their strength and hardness. Although bones appear to be rock hard and static, in reality, bone tissue changes constantly as calcium (and other minerals) moves in and out ¨C a process called remodeling.
Controlling muscle function and maintaining the heartbeat: Muscle tissue especially the heart, require small amounts of calcium in order to contract and relax normally.
Transmitting nerve impulses: Calcium is needed in order for a nerve cell to transmit its messages to other nerves or to muscles. In addition, calcium inside cells transmits messages to special receptors. Some of these messages are instrumental in controlling blood pressure and other body functions.
Promoting blood clotting and wound healing: Calcium is one of fourteen essential factors that are directly involved in the formation of blood clots and start the process of wound healing.
Miscellaneous other function: Acts as a coenzyme in various metabolic activities, controls the permeability of membranes to allow nutrients to pass through cell walls, and helps synthesize hormones and enzymes necessary for digestion. Recent research indicates that calcium may also protect against colon cancer.
Calcium is useful in preventing and treating osteoporosis. It may also be effective in reducing that risk of colorectal cancer. It may be of benefit in some with hypertension and may diminish some of the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). A recent preliminary study has suggested that calcium may help reduce the risk of obesity.
Nutritional significance of Malic acid
Malic acid, an alpha-hydroxy organic acid, is sometimes referred to as a fruit acid. This is because, malic acid is found in apples and other fruits. It is also found in plants and animals, including humans. In fact, malic acid, in the form of its anion malate, is a key intermediate in the major biochemical energy-producing cycle in cells known as the citric acid or Krebs cycle located in the cellsĄŻ mitochondria.
Awareness of the necessity of calcium for long term bone health has grown substantially and calcium fortification has exploded across the food chain. This has lead to increased demand for bioavailable calcium delivery forms. Calcium malate caters to this need.